Annie Kelleher is looking for 3x female or non-binary identifying dancers to take part in her research project, Karen. Karen is a contemporary dance theatre piece that draws on the comedy inherent within the caricature of white, middle-class women stereotyped as “Karen’s” to present how this concept is shaping & is shaped by our current ideas of feminism, ageism, & understanding of class & politics.
Where: The Place, London
When: 24th February 2022
Deadline for applications: 5pm GMT 11th February 2022
The selected dancers will take part in a 3-week research & development period that will culminate in a sharing in front of invited guests. Annie currently has funding to support this current phase of the project, but intends to apply for more funding in the future to continue her research & eventually create & tour the piece.
What Annie is Looking for:
- Strong contemporary dance technique
- Confidence with improvisation
- Experience of working with text, and delivering text in a live performance
- Experience of working with humour
- Experience of working in a community context, particularly with people from a range of different ages
- Annie recognises the positive values of diversity, promotes equality, & challenges discrimination. These roles are open to all people who identify as women or non-binary, & welcomes applications from people with a disability, people from ethnically diverse backgrounds, & people of any sexuality.
- Research Week 1 – Sir John Mills Theatre, Ipswich – Mon 21st March-Fri 25th March 2022
- Research Week 2 – DanceEast, Ipswich – Mon 28th March-Fri 1st April 2022
- Research Week 3 – DanceEast, Ipswich – Mon 4th April-Fri 8th April 2022 (Sharing will most likely be Fri 8th April)
Fee & Additional Support
The fee you will be paid is broken down as follows:
£500+holiday pay for each week in residence (inclusive of sharing)
Annie can provide all 3 dancers with up to £300 to support travel costs.
Annie can also support 2 dancers with up to £600 each towards accommodation costs and up to £75 each per week in residence to support living costs (food etc.).
How to apply: To express an interest in the project, please send a C.V. and showreel, via YouTube or Vimeo link, to email@example.com by 5pm on Friday 11th February 2022. Please also let her know of any access requirements you might have.
From these, she will select up to 15 applicants who will attend an in-person audition.
The details for this are:
Location: The Place, London, WC1H 9PY
Date: Thurs 24th February 2022
Annie will select 3 dancers from this audition.
If you have any questions prior to applying, please contact Annie at the e-mail address above.
For further information, please visit https://www.instagram.com/annie_kelleher_dance/