Northern Ireland Screen and BBC Drama Commissioning with support from ScreenSkills, are recruiting a Trainee Script Editor for a one-year paid placement opportunity with a drama production company (October 2021 – October 2022). The position will be based in Belfast (Note: Telecommunicating currently in alignment with current COVID guidance and company policy, but the successful candidate needs to be based in Northern Ireland with the ability to commute to Belfast).
The placement will be a combination of full-time employment within the script development department of a production company and will include short courses and mentoring. The placement will be focused on Television Drama.
The successful applicant will be seconded to a drama production company where you will be reporting to the Head of Development.
Through a combination of employment and short courses, the successful candidate will:
- Learn about the role of script editor in development including conceptualising an idea, and how to develop it.
- Learn about the role of practical script editing on a production including using Final Draft and producing amendments, ‘negative checking’, note giving and how to do it effectively.
- Learn the skills to communicate effectively as a script editor including how to work with writers and executives.
- Have one to one sessions with executives and participate in meetings with writers, directors and producers when appropriate.
- Receive appropriate training such as Final Draft software.
- One years’ paid experience of script reading or reporting for a production company, broadcaster, or funding body.
and / or
- Two years’ professional experience working in film & television.
- A passion, good knowledge and understanding of the television drama landscape in Northern Ireland, the wider UK, and Ireland.
- An ability to generate original and creative ideas.
- A high level of organisational and communication skills.
Deadline for applications is 12 noon on Friday 1st October.
For more information and to apply for this position, click HERE.
Please note under no circumstances will late applications be considered.