Tinderbox cultivated a creative environment for me to play and discover, empowering me to say what I wanted to say.
”We offer artists the opportunity to discover the art of playfulness to nurture and ignite their creative potential through our training programmes.”
Tinderbox are delighted to introduce our new programme Playground, which will fundamentally combine their artistic concepts of Play, Motion 21 and Off the Grid for the performer, process and space.
- Play: We engage in play to explore who we are as human beings and artists. Play opens up the space to create new ideas through to performance.
- Motion 21: Motion 21 celebrates the artistic process of play by inviting the artist to continually question and explore their unique process. The idea, the process and the performance are continually changing.
- Off the Grid: Off the Grid transforms the creative space whilst also placing responsibility on the artists to discover creativity in site-specific locations and different environment rather than an intellectual process. Through these three approaches, we are constantly in a creative flux, evolving idea’s and forms, changing perspectives and creative new narrative.
10 artists will be invited to discover creative play/practice in various locations in Northern Ireland. We will facilitate workshops in outdoor locations such as forests, mountains, the coast and urban locations such as cities, industrial sites, factories and warehouses to study the architecture and theatricality in each space. This method will provide artists the opportunity to focus on creativity by the space and movement rather than intellectual process. In each location we will facilitate a creative workshop and propose new narratives for performance.
Playground will encompass 3 week intensives in 3 different locations:
- 1st Stage – Landscape – 6 days creating performance in the Natural Environment using the elements and story-telling. 23rd-28th August
- 2nd Stage – November: Urban Landscape – 6 days creating performance in Urban Environments. Artists will visit factories, industrialised spaces to explore the movement and architecture of each space.
- March 2022 – For stage 3, artists will be invited to attend a week long residency to create a performance for the Playground performance in 2022.
Playground will be delivered by Tinderbox’s Artistic Director Patrick J O’Reilly whose extensive training at the International school of Jacque Le Coq in Paris and career as a performer, director and writer will nurture and inspire the future generation of Northern Ireland’s performers, writers and theatre makers.
- Movement and dynamics in space
- Physical theatre practice (outdoor performance)
- Devising technique/Creating theatre performance
- Elements/ Object Manipulation
- New writing
- Mask exploration
Artists will also receive:
- mentorship with Tinderbox Theatre Company.
- Open rehearsals to attend Tinderbox projects.
- Opportunities for employment with the Creativity in Motion programme.
- Opportunities for employment in facilitation work with Tinderbox
Tariff for Playground programme
The Tariff for Playground is a on pay-what-you-can basis.
Everyone is required to wear suitable clothing for movement for every workshop (preferably without logos/images). Outdoor clothing is also advised as we will be making theatre performance in unpredictable weather conditions!
If you are interested please email your CV expression of Interest to Patrickj.email@example.com
Deadline for expressions of Interest 23rd July!
Applicants will be invited to attend an interview late July.