Amadan Ensemble is hosting a masterclass by David Glass, as part of this year’s inaugural Theatre Works Fest NI and is supported by Belfast City Council and our partner The MAC, Belfast. This masterclass focuses on developing the skills and tools required for making your own creative work for individuals and groups.
Devised theatre sits at the heart of modern theatre practice, where the actor/performer as collaborative maker is central. David Glass is one of the world’s pioneers in this expanding area and has influenced the work of many, including Complicite, Gecko Theatre, DV8, and O Theatre.
Based on David Glass’s Alchemy of the Extraordinary Creative Practice, this masterclass is a must for any performer or company wishing to develop their own work. The course is rigorous, playful and practical and over the three days, the participants will learn the fundamentals of Devised Theatre and will come away with tools and skills they can use immediately in creating work.
Key areas will be:
- Ensemble and group creative practice
- Emerging material
- Analysis of material-ideas, image, dramatic situations, character, expressive mediums
- The arc of choosing material: Interesting, Resonant, Relevant and Appropriate.
- The Creative triangle tension of Artist, Art and The World
- Theatre being Evocation, Provocation and Invocation
- The organic relationship of Story, Drama, Design and Music/Sound.
Appropriate to beginners and professionals, teachers and students. Please bring loose fitting clothes for moving comfortably around in and an open heart and mind.
DATES – 7th to 9th Jan 2024
LOCATION – The MAC, Belfast 10 Exchange St West, Belfast BT1 2NJ
COST – £140.00
BURSARY FOR BELFAST BASED ARTISTS – 6 Belfast based artists will be eligible for a reduced fee bursary thanks to the support of Belfast City Council.
This bursary is for people who have an interest or experience in making their own theatrical work and/or devised theatre. This bursary is supported by Belfast City Council and reduced the masterclass fee to £60.00.
To be eligible for this bursary you must be
- Based in Belfast – for the purposes of the bursary that means within the limits of Belfast City Council. Please include your address and postcode.
- A freelance artist with professional experience or a staff member of a non-funded company. This bursary is not open to core-funded organisations.
- Demonstrate in 250 words or less your interest and/or experience in theatre-making and/or devised theatre practice and how this masterclass will enhance your practice and enable you to make new work in the future. You may use bullet points or send a video of between 2-3mins (no longer).
- Please send your submission to with the heading MASTERCLASS BURSARY to firstname.lastname@example.org
Once you have demonstrated your eligibility this will be allocated on a first come first served basis. If you can afford the full price fee for the masterclass we would encourage you to not apply for this bursary.