Six in the Attic (SITA) and Six in the Virtual Attic is Irish Theatre Institute (ITI)’s key artist development programme. This year long programme provides playwrights and theatre makers with the space and resources to create and develop work.
Six in the Attic was established in 2011, focusing on supporting a community of playwrights and theatre makers to engage, explore, develop, debate, and collaborate on their projects. Since the foundation of the programme, Six in the Attic alumni have gone on to great individual successes – creating new work, winning awards, founding theatre companies, amongst many more accolades.
2023 / 2024 marks the introduction of six important new strategic partners: Galway City Arts Office, Galway County Arts Office, Leitrim Arts Office, Roscommon Arts Centre, Tipperary Arts Office and Wexford Arts Office. These sectoral collaborators are supporting ITI to identify artists across the country to ensure they avail and participate in the Six in the Attic or Virtual Attic programme. Six places are held for artists from these six counties.
WHO CAN APPLY:
We are interested in getting applications from artists who:
- Have ambitious creative plans for the period December 2023 to November 2024
- Are seeking mentoring and support alongside provision of space, time, and practical resources to create over a 12-month period.
- Are resident on the island of Ireland.
- Have an established practice and track record of 1 full-length production produced/programmed by an established production company, festival, or independent producer.
- If you are interested in the programme, but you are not sure if you are eligible to apply, please don’t assume you’re not. Get in touch to check by emailing Leigh Hussey, Programme Manager, email@example.com
WHAT DO ARTISTS RECEIVE:
Selected artists engage in a thoughtfully created programme of:
- Artist gatherings online and in person meet ups arranged for the group building a community of peers.
- Professional development workshops focused on areas that upskill freelance artists.
- Introductions and networking with other independent artists and arts organisations nationally and internationally.
- One-to-one mentoring from Director Niamh O’Donnell and Programme Manager Leigh Hussey.
- Access to a shared workspace, rehearsal/meeting room spaces for development and collaboration sessions in ITI’s offices located on 17 Eustace Street, Temple Bar Dublin 2.
- Access to short term dedicated desk in selected national venues or cultural spaces for non-Dublin based artists.
- An artist practice bursary of €1,300
- ITI is now calling for applications from playwrights and theatre makers seeking to realise their artistic ambition, enhance their professional skills and build peer supports.
12th October Applications open
9th November Deadline for applications, 5pm
13th November Panel of Artists – reading panel meet for deliberation and nominations
22nd November Successful and unsuccessful applicants notified
27th November Six in the Attic 2023/24 participants announced
6th December Six in the Attic and Six in the Virtual Attic online meeting
15th December Six in the Attic and Six in the Virtual Attic – Afternoon in Dublin gathering