BBC Children in Need – Youth Social Action Fund
Grants are available to not-for-profit groups delivering projects which build children and young people’s confidence and skills across the UK.
- Current Status
- Open for Applications
- Maximum value:
- £ 50,000
Objectives of Fund
Funding is intended to support organisations to bring social action and youth empowerment opportunities to children and young people, to help prevent or overcome the effects of the disadvantages they face.
There is a total funding pot of £3 million.
The following grants are available:
- Up to £15,000 for unregistered organisations (£10,000 per year, or £15,000 over the 18 months).
- Up to £50,000 over 18 months for registered bodies.
Who Can Apply
Not-for-profit organisations based in the UK can apply.
Applicants do not need to have experience in youth-led social action projects, but must be able to demonstrate:
- Their well-established links with children and young people.
- Experience in child participation/sharing power with children and young people.
- How they work alongside other organisations in the local community.
- How and why they want to deliver youth-led social action projects.
The following are not eligible for funding:
- Statutory bodies or work that is a statutory responsibility.
- Capital or building projects.
- Promotion of religious or political activity.
- Trips abroad.
- Medical treatment or research.
- Pregnancy testing or advice.
- Holidays where there is little or no project involvement.
- General appeals or endowment funds.
- Debt repayments or budget shortfalls.
- Staff redundancy or redeployment costs.
- Pension liabilities.
- Feasibility studies.
- Work addressing child sexual exploitation.
- Non-fixed equipment totaling over £20,000.
- Retrospective costs.
- Unspecified expenditure.
- Work with people over the age of 18 years old.
- Fixed equipment (eg boilers, lighting).
Funded work must be:
- Led by children and young people.
- Genuinely developmental and reciprocal, providing children and young people with life enhancing experience and new skills and confidence.
- Prioritising the wellbeing of children and young people at all times.
- Inclusive of all age ranges.
- Harnessing the value of lived experience.
- Allowing time and space for project ideas to grow through an initial development phase. This period of time at the start of each grant will build the capacity of the children and young people to take part in youth social action.
Activity can last up to 18 months. Delivery must be completed by the middle of March 2024.
How To Apply
All applicants are required to sign up to a one-hour information session before they can apply. Dates are as follows:
- 5 April 2022 (10am).
- 6 April 2022 (2.30pm).
- 7 April 2022 (5.30pm).
- 8 April 2022 (9.30am).
- 11 April 2022 (12pm).
The deadline to register for an information session is 8 April 2022. Full details of how to register for the sessions can be found on the BBC Children in Need ‘Youth Social Action Fund’ webpage. Groups that cannot attend any of the sessions have the option to receive a recorded session. The application form and application pack will be released after the information sessions.
Contact BBC Children in Need for more information or Click Here.