Call for Applications
Dance Ireland is pleased to invite applications for the role of Associate Artist 2022. Having undertaken a full review of the programme in 2021 in consultation with former Associate Artists, we are offering a significant investment in an artist to build a relationship with Dance Ireland and to progress their artistic practice within a supportive environment.
About this opportunity
The Associate Artist programme is a flagship programme for Dance Ireland. It offers valuable support and profile for early career artists that can help to establish their working practices and relationships locally, nationally, and internationally. The programme involves a suite of supports that are responsive to the artists need, their vision and their ambitions.
Over an 18-month period (July 2021 – December 2022), we will spend time getting to know the artist and their work, consulting on their needs, identifying opportunities, and supporting them to take the next steps in their career. This will include (where appropriate):
- Career and artistic project advice.
- Support for developing funding applications to bring additional resources to the artist during their tenure.
- Connections with peers, networks and opportunities through Dance Ireland programmes, members events and international programmes (e.g., European DanceHouse Network).
- Creative support from Dance Ireland team in studio and connection with Dance Ireland programmes (e.g., Producer in Residence, Dramaturgy).
- €6000 financial commitment – this can be paid as required by the artist in support of their projects and partnerships including, for example, as a stipend of €500/month for 12 months in 2022.
- Up to 6 weeks of studio space at DanceHouse.
- 1-week Digital Residency – this could include, for example, a digital takeover or remote residency, and connects with the Dance Ireland digital strategy.
- Administration / Producing support from Dance Ireland team (where appropriate and feasible).
- 2 weeks morning class teaching (additionally paid, and if appropriate to the artist’s practice).
- Promotion through Dance Ireland PR and marketing activity, including photoshoot for portfolio.
Together with the selected artist we will create a bespoke programme that will fit their needs. This will be a partnership, and in return we have the following expectations of the artist:
- To develop a mutually beneficial, learning relationship
- Acknowledgement of the support of Dance Ireland
- Participation in 2 Board meetings and minimum 6 staff meetings/training workshops
- Contribute to curatorial planning discussions and funding planning workshops/meetings
- Support Dance Ireland programmes through participation in 2 selection/award panels.
- Host a Member’s Forum – theme of choice.
Who is this for?
We would like to hear from artists who:
- are a Professional Member of Dance Ireland
- are interested in making dance work that builds audiences
- are early in their career as a dance maker, but at a pivotal point in their practice
- have a minimum of 3 years professional experience
- understand the value of this programme, and how it will benefit their career
- would like to build a relationship with Dance Ireland
- are open to engaging with the full expertise of the Dance Ireland team
How to Apply
The selection process will be in two parts:
Please complete the online application form here.
Supporting material should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Associate Artist [NAME] supporting documents”. These should include:
- Artist CV
- Links to recent work/showreel – please include links to Vimeo/YouTube for videos.
Please note: We cannot accept Dropbox links.
- A letter of recommendation from another artist who is familiar with your work, is not a collaborator, and has no conflict of interest – personal or professional.
Deadline for applications: 10.00am Tuesday 25th May 2021
Shortlisted artists will be invited to interview (via Zoom) with a panel that will include members of the Dance Ireland Executive and Board, a former Associate Artist, and an external stakeholder.
Interviews will take place either week of 7th or 14th June 2021.
If you would like this brief in an alternative format – Large Print, ISL. audio etc, please get in touch. Should you require additional support in completing this application process please also email: email@example.com or call Dance Ireland on 01 855 8800.
Image: Dancers Olwyn Lyons and Millie Daniel-Dempsey in 2020 Associate Artists work, Sibeal Davitt