The Abbey Theatre have announced their resident directors programme will return in 2024, aiming to develop four early-career resident directors on a year-long attachment to the theatre, commencing January 2024.
The programme of learning enables directors to expand their knowledge of directing through the following:
- At least one opportunity to be an Assistant Director on Abbey Theatre mainstage production in 2024.
- A full time two week professional development intensive from 19th February to 1st March 2024
- Desk space for one year at the Abbey Theatre
- Mentoring and monthly meetings with Associate Director, Caroline Byrne.
- Networking sessions with Theatre Industry professionals and Abbey staff.
- Quarterly meeting with the Artistic Director, Caitríona McLaughlin.
- Training and development sessions with Voice and Text Director, Andrea Ainsworth at the Abbey.
- 4 International directors masterclasses in 2024.
- One sponsored weekend trip to an International Theatre Festival.
- Tickets to see work at the Abbey
- Access to day-to-day running of the theatre including sessions on casting, marketing, production and literary and new work.
- Contribute to script meetings every six weeks with senior management and Abbey associate Artists.
- Opportunities to be engaged and paid for rehearsed readings and community projects.
The year-long attachment to the theatre provides a stipend of €12,000 for the residency and base at the Abbey. This amounts to approximately 60 days of paid professional development at the Abbey Theatre.
The programme is design to support directors who need to supplement their residency with additional work.
Directors must be available for the two-week intensive development, as well as the masterclasses and regular script/programming meetings. Dates and full schedule to be confirmed. We are particularly interested in applicants from artists from communities that have been historically underrepresented in Irish Theatre.
All applicants must be based in Ireland in 2024.
Deadline 8th Nov